Clinical Therapeutic Massage Program
The Clinical Therapeutic Massage Associate Degree program at the UCC offers students a strong scientific background for the understanding and application of various soft tissue massage techniques to promote health and wellness as part of an integrated healthcare team. UCC’s Clinical Therapeutic Massage Program carefully prepares students to be able to work in hospitals, medical environments and with patients/clients who have compromised health or physical impairments.
Student will receive a Science Base Associate Degree after completing a combined 1,331 hours and 64 credits of coursework and clinical internship. All graduates are ought to sit for the Massage and Bodywork Licensing Exam (MBLEX) prior to graduation, which a passing grade is required for a license to practice massage in Puerto Rico.
Profile of a Clinical Therapeutic Massage Therapist
A Clinical Therapeutic Massage therapist with a Science Base Associate Degree is the health professional trained to carry on therapeutic massage sessions. This program could be the basis for those students who wish to pursue additional academic development in sciences.
The main purpose of this program is to provide patients/clients with the best knowledgeable and skillful massage therapist with a structured touch system to prevent, remediate and / or rehabilitate by means of science base superficial or deep soft tissue manipulations, to promote general relaxation, improve circulation, improve range of motion, alleviate stress, and muscular tension; promoting physical, mental and emotional well-being.
It is responsible to preserve patient/client integrity, in addition to his/her duty of orienting, educating, supporting and serving the patient/client under its care.
UCC Clinical Therapeutic Massage graduate will be capable of:
- Evaluate medical orders and patient information to determine the massage session to perform.
- Recognize medical terminology, apply pathology, anatomy, physiology and structural kinesiology integrated knowledge to determine appropriate modality or modalities to carry out.
- Integrate massage therapy methodology with allopathic medicine model to enrich the quality of patients’ life.
- To give grounding in delimitation and respect for the personal and professional boundaries through training in ethics and standards of massage therapy practice, promoting inter-professional collaboration with colleagues, clinical supervisors, patients and clients when analyzing health issues.
- Practice universal infection control precautions at all times and proceed with Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) when required.
- Actively participate in its professional and personal growth, inside and out of any working environment.
- Demonstrate a reliable problem-solving mentality, critical thinking, decision-making and verbal and non-verbal communications.
- Performing his/her duties in such a way that due respect, empathy and resilience for the human being prevails, also taking in consideration respect for all social and cultural diversity.